Angel Island Immigration Station Foundation

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Heritage Groups Host Angel Island Family History Day

Showcase Complex and Controversial History of the Ellis Island of the West

Read more...
 
 

"Enemy Aliens" on Angel Island

During World War II, there were a number of sites around the country used as temporary detention facilities used to house "enemy aliens" - Japanese, Italian and German immigrants deemed suspicious by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Many of the Japanese immigrants were arrested on December 7, 1941, or soon after. A National Parks Service site quotes Michi Weglyn's Years of Infamy and lists the locations where Japanese were temporarily detained:  "Angel Island, San Pedro, Sharp Park, and Tuna Canyon in California, and Ellis Island, New York, East Boston, Massachusetts, Cincinnati, Ohio, and Seattle, Washington." During World War II, Ellis Island was used as a detention center to hold enemy aliens awaiting hearings. In December 1941 Ellis Island held 279 Japanese, 248 Germans, and 81 Italians, all removed from the East Coast," and several hundred detainees were brought to Ellis Island each month.
Read more...
 
 

July 11 Immigrant Heritage Award kickoff!

 

on
Event Co-Chairs Linda Frank and Buck Gee with 2013 Immigrant Heritage Awards recipients, Catherine Eusebio, Alla Efimova, Lit Ng, and AIISF Executive Director, Michael McKehcnie.
Read more...
 
   

Bringing the Angel Island Immigration Station into California Classrooms

Yahoo! Employee Foundation is pleased to be a part of assisting the Angel Island Immigration Station Foundation in bringing its lessons out to students across California.

Tony Tam, Yahoo! Inc.

Read more...
 
 

Remembering Angel Island's Russian immigrants

By Maria Sakovich and Eugenia Bailey

 

on
USS Merritt, circa 1923

Ninety years ago, on 1 July 1923, a special group of refugees on the American transport U.S.A.T. Merritt arrived at San Francisco. These 526 Russian men, women, and children had been part of a flotilla of some twenty Russian vessels (under the command of Rear Admiral Yu. K. Stark) which left Vladivostok in October 1922 when the city fell to the Bolsheviks. After a harrowing journey plagued by inhospitable governments, poor shipboard conditions, and typhoons which sank two of the not-very-seaworthy vessels and their passengers; a remnant of the original 7,000 refugees managed to make it to Manila in the Philippine Islands, where the American government had guaranteed asylum. Consultation by Governor General Leonard Wood with President Harding and the Secretaries of War and Labor enabled the homeless and stateless Russians to come to the United States under the terms of the recently enacted quota law. The American Red Cross helped to finance the trip.

 

Read more...
 
   

Page 2 of 14

Join our e-news list